Short ribs become fork tender when braised low and slow. A rich tasting sauce of sweet balsamic vinegar, beef stock, red wine and herbs are a delicious accompaniment. Serve this with garlicky mashed potato, quinoa, polenta or cauliflower rice for a lower carb option.
- reheat roaster pan on medium heat approximately 5-7 minutes or until several drops of water sprinkled on the pan skitter and dissipate.
- While pan is preheating lay beef short ribs out on pan and pat off excess moisture with paper towels. Season short ribs with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Place seasoned short ribs in pan and press down gently. The meat will sear and stick to the pan. Place lid on pan, slightly ajar and cook until short ribs are browned on all sides, this will take @ 30-40 minutes, turning pieces of meat over during cooking process so they are evenly browned.
- Remove browned meat from pan, place on a clean plate and drain off excess fat.
- Place pan back on heat, turn heat to medium, add onions and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes until softened and lightly browned. Add tomato paste, oregano and thyme and sauté for 5 minutes until tomato paste begins to brown slightly, stirring while cooking.
- Add beef stock, balsamic vinegar, red wine and bay leaves, stir to remove any bits of tomato paste that have stuck to bottom of the pan.
- Place browned short ribs back in roaster, pushing them into the liquid. Place mushrooms on top. The pan will be filled to a little over ¾ full.
- Place lid on pan and when Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily turn heat down to low and cook for 2-1⁄2-3 hours.
- Remove lid and skim off any excess fat from the top. Continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes to slightly reduce liquid in pan. When the meat is finished cooking it will have reduced in volume and fill ½ pan or slightly less.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Serve meat with mushroom sauce as is or with additional side dish. This dish can be cooked and served the next day, after placing in the refrigerator any excess fat will accumulate on the top and harden. Remove fat before reheating.
- When purchasing short ribs, have butcher cut ribs across bones into smaller pieces. 5 pounds of ribs can be cut into 9 or 12 pieces.
- Omit red wine and add in a little more beef stock if desired.
- During the last 20 minutes of cooking add in additional vegetables; peas, chopped kale, escarole, swiss chard or green beans for a one-pot meal.