10 full servings
5 Qt./4.7 L Roaster with Cover
7" Santoku Knife
Culinary Nutritionist and Health Strategist, Marni uses passion and experience to educate individuals on how to adopt a realistic, plant-based diet that is both simple and delicious.
Butternut squash is loaded with vitamins and a delicious, natural sweetness. This soup is filling enough to enjoy as a meal - just add a handful of steamed green leafy veggies and you’ve got a balanced meal!
You can learn more about Marni by visiting her Facebook and Twitter page, or www.marniwasserman.com.
whole mustard seeds
garlic, peeled and chopped
medium onion, cut into big pieces
ground cumin seeds
ground coriander seeds
3 - 4
water or vegetable stock
(700 - 950
4 - 6
butternut squash, peeled and cubed
(560 - 840
1⁄2 - 1
coconut milk (optional)
(120 - 240
- In roaster, heat mustard seeds on medium heat. Sauté until seeds start to pop.
- Add garlic and onions and sauté for a minute.
- Add the rest of the spices, water or stock, and butternut squash. Cover and cook.
- When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce heat low and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Add washed lentils and simmer for another 10 - 15 minutes, until lentils are tender but not overcooked.
- Add salt and coconut milk, if using. Mash with hand held blender or potato masher.
- Soup also works well with carrots or sweet potatoes. Vegetables can also be roasted for additional taste.
Soup without coconut milk