11" Large Skillet with Cover
small mixing bowl
7" Santoku Knife
pork shoulder butt
piece star anise
brown sugar or rock sugar
soy sauce or tamari
Chinese cooking wine (Shaoxing)
- Using a knife, butter-fly pork to cook more quickly.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on skillet skitter and dissipate, approximately 4 minutes, add pork.
- Add star anise, brown sugar, soy sauce and cooking wine. Cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ clicks steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and turn meat to cook other side. Cover and increase temperature back to medium heat. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove meat from skillet and slice into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water. Add to remaining sauce in skillet and bring to a simmer. Cook until slightly thickened.
- Remove sauce from heat and serve over meat.
- This dish serves nicely with plain rice. In a sauce pan over medium heat, add 1 cup of Basmati rice (rinsed and drained) and 1 ¾ cups water. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce heat to low and cook until water is absorbed. If you prefer drier rice, use about one-eighth less water than you usually use.