This easy to prepare vegetarian one-pot pasta dish gets a nutritional upgrade. Swap out refined grain pasta for a lentil pasta with the added benefit of plant-based protein. Chopped kale or other dark leafy greens are an easy way to add in extra vegetables and carrots add natural sweetness. An added benefit for those following a Gluten-free diet, many of the bean based pastas are also gluten-free.
- Preheat 8.5-quart roaster over medium heat for 7-9 minutes until a sprinkle of water skitters and dissipates.
- Add onions, garlic and carrots to Roaster, sauté, cover and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, almond milk, vegetable stock, basil, oregano, kale and pepper, Stir to combine, cook for 15 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in pasta and peas and cover with lid. When Vapo Valve™ begins to click steadily, turn heat to low and cook for 10-12 minutes. Keep a close watch on pasta, it can go from being al dente to overcooked quickly.
- Remove Roaster from heat so it does not overcook, taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve as is or Sprinkle with grated Pecorino Romano cheese or Nutritional yeast for a vegan option. Top with chopped fresh basil.
- Substitute lentil pasta for your favorite pasta, cooking time will vary slightly
- Substitute chopped kale for other greens or a combination, swiss chard, arugula, spinach or dandelion greens.
- If you are concerned about added sweeteners, look for a tomato sauce with no added sugars. The addition of carrots in this dish will add sweetness to the sauce.