Saladmaster Food Processor
5 Qt./4.7 L Roaster with Cover
small mixing bowl
large mixing bowl
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
There are many packaged rice blends available that instantly add an exotic flavor to warm weather salads. This salad stores well and is perfect for serving a crowd.
rice and quinoa blend (brown rice, red rice, quinoa and wild rice)
scallions, green and white part, thinly sliced
stalks celery, small dice
tart apples, granny smith or other variety, processed, use Cone #2
dried apricots, cut into thin slices
almond slivers, toasted
oranges, cut into segments
apple cider vinegar
- Place water in roaster and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add rice blend, cinnamon stick, curry powder and salt. Cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for 25 minutes until all of the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let steam, covered for 10 minutes.
- Remove cover, fluff rice blend with a fork and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add scallions, celery, apples, apricots and almonds. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, thoroughly combine dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over rice salad and toss gently to combine.
- Taste salad and add extra seasonings, if necessary.
- Serve rice salad chilled and garnished with fresh orange segments.
- Substitute rice blend for long grain brown rice, basmati rice or other favorite rice blend. Follow package directions for cooking rice blend.
- Serve rice salad as a side dish or on top of arugula or baby spinach greens as an entrée salad.
- Add leftover chopped chicken to salad or top with grilled shrimp.