Farro, which is grown and used in Italy, is from a wheat variety known as emmer. Farro has a nutty flavor and chewy texture. It is excellent in cold dishes as well as hearty soups and stews.
Use the 12 in. Electric Oil Core Skillet cover with you 12" Chef's Gourmet Skillet.
- Place farro in a bowl and cover with water to soak while you are preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on skillet skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 minutes, add onions and garlic. Sauté for 3 - 5 minutes until softened and lightly browned.
- Add tomato paste and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add stock, basil, salt and crushed red pepper. Stir to combine.
- Drain farro from bowl and add to skillet. Stir to combine and cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low and cook farro for 10 minutes.
- Remove cover, add cauliflower and stir. Cover and continue to cook for 20 - 25 minutes or until farro is tender. Add an additional ¼ - ½ cup of water or stock, if needed.
- Add olives and parsley. Stir to combine and add additional seasonings as needed.
- Serve farro hot and garnished with grated cheese, if desired.
- Substitute cauliflower for other seasonal vegetables.
- Add in leftover shredded chicken or sausage meat.
- Add hard pieces or end pieces of leftover grating cheese, such as Romano or Parmesan cheese, to cooking liquid to add flavor to stock.
- Add arugula or spinach at the end of cooking. Stir and let wilt.