This dip recipe will be the hit of the party and, in the unlikely event that there are leftovers, it will be the hit of dinner the next day too. A yummy, high-protein, low-fat and low-calorie appetizer or a delicious Mexican dinner, this versatile dish will have everyone asking for more.
- Place 2 cups drained pinto beans in a medium bowl. Mash with a potato masher or fork until beans are the consistency of refried beans. Or blend in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining 1 1⁄2 cups drained beans, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, tomato paste and 1⁄4 cup reserved bean juice. Mash slightly in the manner stated above. Place previously mashed beans into this bowl , combine and set aside.
- Preheat electric skillet to 250°F/121°C. Sauté onion and garlic for approximately 3 minutes or until onions become translucent. Transfer sautéed onion and garlic to bean mixture. Add salsa and blend well.
- Reduce heat to 225°F/107°C. Spread bean mixture evenly in skillet. Cover and cook 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Turn skillet off and cover. When cheese is melted garnish with cilantro and serve with baked chips or toasted pitas.
- No time to prepare dry beans? Substitute 1 15-ounce (425g) refried beans and 1 15-ounce (425g) chili beans, slightly drained and lightly mashed.
- Use leftover bean dip as a filling for burritos or tostados. Or spread on a baked pizza crust, top with grated cheese and broil. Then top with shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes.