4 - 6 servings, as main course
Saladmaster Food Processor
7 Qt./6.6 L Wok with Cover
small mixing bowl
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Taco salad is an easy party dish to prepare, perfect for warm weather dining. Toss together salad ingredients and make the dressing in advance. Stir-fried firm white fish lightens up this traditionally batter-fried dish without losing any flavor. Offer a selection of toppings for guests to customize their salad.
firm white fish, trimmed of skin and bones, cut into 1½-inch pieces
cayenne pepper, ground
fresh lime juice
romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
red cabbage, shredded, use Cone #3 (approximately 2 cups)
red onion, strung, use Cone #2
red bell pepper, julienned, use Cone #2
carrots, trimmed and scrubbed, julienned, use Cone #2
low-fat yogurt, plain
avocados, very ripe
1⁄2 - 3⁄4
(120 - 180
fresh ground pepper, to taste
1 - 2
Siracha or hot sauce
(5 - 10
- Place fish in a bowl. Add paprika, cumin, cayenne, salt, olive oil and lime juice. Toss fish with spices to evenly coat. Place in the refrigerator to marinate while preparing salad.
- Place romaine lettuce in a large bowl. Process cabbage, onion, pepper and carrots directly into the bowl and toss to combine. Place salad mixture in the refrigerator.
- Blend yogurt, avocados, water, lime juice, salt, pepper and Siracha in blender until smooth and creamy. Taste dressing and adjust as necessary with extra water, lime juice or seasonings. Dressing should be smooth and creamy and not too thick. Pour dressing in a small container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat wok over medium heat until several drops of water sprinkled in wok skitter and dissipate. Drain fish from marinade and pat off excess moisture with paper towel. Add fish to wok and stir-fry for approximately 5 - 6 minutes, tossing occasionally to brown evenly on all sides.
- To serve, divide salad mixture evenly between plates and top with fish. Drizzle dressing over each serving.
- Monkfish, halibut, or sea bass work well in this recipe.
Dressing (based on 6 servings)