Saladmaster Food Processor
11" Square Griddle
small mixing bowl
medium mixing bowl
Janet Potts, RD, LD
Fruits are a delectable way to add essential nutrients to your heart healthy diet. This recipe is a natural way to satisfy your sweet-tooth cravings in a healthy manner. And these delicious sandwiches are not just for breakfast - surprise your family by serving this fun and unique treat for dinner.
strawberries, processed, use Cone #3
egg substitute, liquid, fat-free
fat-free milk or soy milk
fruit spread (such as orange marmalade or peach)
Neufchatel cheese, softened
ground cinnamon to taste
ground nutmeg to taste
- In a small bowl, stir together strawberries, bananas and blueberries. Set aside.
- Combine egg substitute, milk and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat griddle over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on surface skitter and dissipate, the griddle is ready.
- Dip each bread slice into egg mixture, turning to coat both sides. Place all 4 slices on griddle and cook 2 - 3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Turn to brown second side.
- While browning second side, spread 1 tablespoon each of fruit spread on exposed side of two of the slices. Spread remaining two slices with 1 tablespoon each of Neufchatel cheese.
- Divide fruit mixture, that was set aside, evenly onto the slices of bread spread with Neufchatel cheese.
- When bread is browned on both sides, assemble sandwich by turning slice of bread spread with fruit spread onto the bread topped with fruit mixture, so that fruit spread is resting on top of the fruit.
- Remove sandwiches to serving plate. Slice diagonally, sprinkle with ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Serve warm.
- Cream cheese can be substituted for Neufchatel cheese.
- Top with warm sugar-free or low-sugar maple syrup. Or try serving with vanilla yogurt.
- May use agave nectar to sweeten fruit if desired.
- Place strawberries in freezer for approximately 5 - 10 minutes before slicing with Saladmaster machine.