Corn chowder is a popular late summer dish when the weather is just beginning to get cool. This chowder recipe takes advantage of local corn and new potatoes, made lighter by substituting heavy cream for almond milk. This dish is vegan and vegetarian friendly. Add a spoon or two of pepper relish to your bowl of soup for a fresh spicy topping.
- Cut corn kernels off cob and place in a bowl; set aside. Reserve corn cobs.
- Preheat roaster over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled in roaster skitter and dissipate, add onions and garlic and sauté for 2 - 3 minutes until softened.
- Add cumin, basil, vegetable stock, almond milk and potatoes. Stir to combine.
- Break corn cobs in half and place in roaster, pushing down so they are submerged in the liquid.
- Place cover on roaster. When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 20 - 25 minutes, until potatoes are soft.
- Remove corn cobs from roaster and discard.
- Add corn kernels to roaster. Turn heat back to medium and cover. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for an additional 15 - 20 minutes until the corn is soft.
- Taste soup and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- In a small bowl mix together arrowroot powder and water until thoroughly combined.
- Add arrowroot mixture to soup and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes until soup is thickened.
- In a small bowl combine all relish ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Ladle corn chowder into bowls and serve hot with a spoon of pepper relish on top if desired.