For an easy meal-in-a-bowl, use the nutritious powerhouses of beans and greens, and layer fluffy cooked millet seasoned with herbs and broth. Millet, a gluten free seed, is easy to digest, cooks up quickly, and has an impressive nutritional profile: it is a rich source of iron, calcium and B-vitamins, and is very mild in flavor.
- Rinse millet and drain well. Place millet, stock or water, salt, basil and oregano in sauce pan and stir to combine. Turn heat to medium and cover. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Turn heat off and let millet rest for 10 minutes with the cover on.
- While millet is cooking, preheat skillet over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on skillet skitter and dissipate, place onions in pan and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add corn and kale, toss to combine and cover. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.
- In small bowl combine tomato paste, cumin and water. Add to vegetables in skillet, cover and cook for 7 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Fluff millet with fork to separate grains. Layer a portion of millet on bottom of individual bowl, top with greens and beans and top with grated cheese, avocado or salsa. Or you may let diners add their own toppings.
- Substitute chopped kale for spinach, Swiss chard, dandelion greens, escarole or other heartier greens.
- Layer and pack millet bowl into a preheated thermos for a nutritious to-go lunch.