Saladmaster Food Processor
5 Qt./4.7 L Roaster with Cover
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Locally available fish is the highlight of this lighter version of stew popular in Nordic cuisine. New potatoes, seasonal heirloom tomatoes and herbs add fresh flavors.
Need a recipe for homemade fish stock? This easy recipe is the perfect one!
onion, strung, use Cone #2
stalks celery, washed and finely diced
carrots, trimmed, scrubbed and finely diced
cloves garlic, shredded, use Cone #1
new potatoes, scrubbed, cut in halves or quartered depending on size
fish stock, homemade or store bought
firm white fish, cut into chunks (sea bass, cod, scrod or other)
shrimp, peeled and deveined, cut into chunks
tomatoes, seasonal variety, chopped, juices included
salt and pepper to taste
fresh parsley leaves, chopped
chives, fresh minced
- Preheat roaster on medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled in roaster skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 - 7 minutes, add onions, celery, carrots and garlic. Sauté for 6 - 8 minutes until onions are softened.
- Add white wine and cook for 6 - 8 minutes until wine reduces slightly.
- Add tomato paste, potatoes and stock. Cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ clicks steadily, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes until the potatoes are soft and cooked.
- Add fish, shrimp and chopped tomatoes. Cover and cook for an additional 5 - 10 minutes, just until fish is cooked.
- Taste fish stew and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Serve fish stew topped with chopped parsley and chives.
- Substitute fish stock for vegetable or chicken stock.
- Serve fish stew with hearty grain bread and butter, if desired.
- Substitute chives and fresh parsley for other fresh herbs, such as thyme, basil or cilantro.
- Add in 1 - 2 cups of cream at the end of cooking for a very rich stew.