Farro is a tasty quick cooking grain that is part of the wheat family. Farro is the perfect grain for making salads, pilafs and adding to soups. The chewy texture, without being overly starchy, and sweet flavor are very appealing.
Farro, like other whole grains, benefit in texture and health benefits from presoaking. Phytic acid, which occurs naturally in whole grains, binds nutrients and prevents them from being properly absorbed. Presoaking helps to pre-digest grains and increase availability of vitamins and minerals. If you are on a healing diet or have challenges with digestive issues or IBS, presoaking can have a positive benefit.
If you do not have time or forget to presoak, don't worry - your salad will be just as tasty and delicious!
- Place culinary basket in sauce pan. Add farro to culinary basket; add water or stock and pinch of sea salt. Cover. Place temperature to medium-high. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Carefully lift cover and place peas on top of farro. Return cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- When farro is cooked, remove sauce pan from heat and transfer to the sink. Remove culinary basket and place in sink. Rinse farro with cool water and gently shake out excess water.
- Place drained farro and peas in large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl, toss to combine and taste. Add additional seasoning as desired.
- To presoak farro: place 1 1/2 cups (255g) of farro in culinary basket; place culinary basket in 3 Qt. Sauce Pan; cover farro with water, place cover on basket and let res on kitchen counter overnight or at least several hour; prior to cooking, lift culinary basket out of sauce pan, discard soaking water and rinse thoroughly with clean water.
- Make sure you have attached Versa Loc handles to culinary basket and sauce pan before starting to cook to ensure easy and safe handling.
- Substitute farro for other grain, such as barley or brown rice.
- Substitute dill for basil, chives or fresh oregano.
- Serve portion of farro salad on top of your favorite mixed salad greens and top with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon.
- Add a crunchy finish to your salad by topping with toasted almond slivers or pine nuts.