Saladmaster Food Processor
4.5 Qt. Mini Braiser Pan with Cover (Limited Edition)
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Braising vegetables adds another layer of flavor and brings out the vegetables natural sweetness. Add in wine or stock along with the addition of herbs, shallots and citrus for an easy to prepare side dish, without turning on the oven.
carrots and turnips, trimmed, scrubbed and cut into even pieces
fennel bulb, stalks and fronds trimmed off, cut into wedges
garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
lemon, zested, use Cone #1
thyme leaves, fresh, chopped
fresh ground pepper to taste
extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- Preheat pan over medium-high heat. When several drops of water sprinkled in pan skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 -7 minutes, add carrots and parsnips in a single layer and cook for 4 - 6 minutes until browned. Turn over and brown for 4 - 6 minutes on other side.
- Remove carrots and parsnips from pan and set aside.
- Add fennel to pan in a single layer and brown for 2 - 3 minutes. Turn fennel over and continuing browning on other side.
- Add shallots and garlic and cook for an additional 2- 3 minutes.
- Add carrots and parsnips back to pan.
- Pour white wine over vegetables. Add lemon zest, thyme, salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Place cover on pan. When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 - 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Serve vegetables warm. Drizzle with a small amount of flavorful extra virgin olive oil, if desired.
- Substitute white wine for rich vegetable or chicken stock.
- Substitute fresh thyme for rosemary.
- For a Mediterranean twist, add ¼ cup chopped sundried tomatoes to the pan when adding white wine and herbs.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese.