Lentils are an affordable, easy to cook high-fiber food that is simply delicious. Lentils are a good source of plant-based protein that are low in calories and contain virtually no fat. Prepare these burgers in advance and serve them as a main course or make them into small slider size portions to serve as an appetizer or as part of a buffet meal.
Pair these patties with English muffins.
- Place lentils, carrots, walnuts, salt, thyme, mustard and garlic powder in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly to combine, mashing ingredients together.
- Preheat griddle over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on griddle skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 - 7 minutes, add onions and sauté for 2 - 3 minutes until softened. Add mushrooms and continue to cook for an additional 2 - 3 minutes until mushrooms give off liquid and soften. Remove griddle from heat.
- Add sautéed onions and mushrooms to lentil mixture and stir to combine.
- Divide lentil mixture into 6 equal portions. Pack lentil mixture into ½-cup dry measuring cup for even sized patties. Gently shake patty out of measuring cup, pat down slightly with palm of hand and place on clean dish. Continue making all patties this way.
- Chill formed patties in the refrigerator for 15 minutes until firm.
- Preheat griddle once again over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on griddle skitter and dissipate, gently place chilled patties on griddle, without overcrowding, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 8 - 10 minutes on each side until browned. Repeat until all patties are cooked.
- Serve patties as is or with toasted English muffins, sliced tomato, sweet pickles, avocado or your favorite toppings.
- To make a goat cheese stuffed patty, form 1 tablespoon of soft chevre style goat cheese into a small ball. Make a hole in the middle of uncooked lentil patty, place goat cheese in the middle and form patty mixture around it, so it is enclosed. Pat mixture back into patty shape and chill.
- Uncooked lentil patties can be frozen for later use. Place patties on griddle in a single layer and freeze. When patties are frozen they can be transferred to a storage container or plastic bag and sealed until ready for use.
- If you like your patties a little drier in texture, place them in a 350°F/177°C oven and cook for an additional 15 - 20 minutes after browning. Be sure to remove Versa Loc™ handle when using griddle in oven.