Pearled couscous, also known as Israeli couscous, are small pellet shaped balls made with semolina flour. Israeli couscous has a nutty flavor and chewy texture. It cooks quickly and is delicious with sauces, or as part of a one pot meal with vegetables.
- Preheat roaster over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until a sprinkle of water skitters and dissipates.
- Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side until browned. Cook ½ chicken pieces at a time so pan is not overcrowded. Don’t worry if chicken is not fully cooked. Remove chicken from the pan, along with any juices and place in a clean dish.
- Sauté onions and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add basil, thyme and summer squash and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add couscous, salt, chicken stock, olives and cooked chicken pieces along with any juices that accumulated, stir and cover roaster with lid.
- When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, turn heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, until couscous if tender but firm to the bite.
- Remove lid, taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Garnish with chopped fresh tomato and herbs or serve them in a small bowl on the side to add to each serving.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese on top if desired.
- Omit chicken and substitute for cooked chickpeas for a vegan/vegetarian entrée
- Add in baby spinach at the end of cooking time for additional vegetables.
- Spice it up with a sprinkle or two of crushed red pepper.