4 - 6 servings
3 Qt./2.8 L Sauce Pan with Cover
2.5 Qt. (1.49L) Culinary Basket
11" Large Skillet with Cover
medium mixing bowl
Chef Sergio Corbia
dry white wine
medium leeks, washed and finely chopped
bell pepper, cored and finely chopped
large shallot, finely chopped
carrot, finely chopped
large cloves garlic, minced
- Place mussels into culinary basket.
- Place sauce pan on burner and add wine and water. Place culinary basket in sauce pan and cover. Place heat on medium, when Vapo-Valve™ clicks turn heat to low and cook until mussels open, approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove culinary basket, transfer to sink and drain. Discard mussels that didn't open, place others in medium bowl and set aside.
- Pour remaining liquid from sauce pan through fine strainer into medium bowl and set aside.
- Place skillet over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on skillet skitter and dissipate, place leeks, peppers and shallots in skillet and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until tender, approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots, garlic, salt and pepper to skillet. Stir and cook another minute (adding butter to taste is optional).
- Add strained mussel's cooking liquid to skillet, stir to blend and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cream and continue to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add mussels in their shells and simmer until just heated through, approximately 1 minute. Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.