Quinoa is a high-fiber, high-protein grain that takes on any flavour you add to it. In this recipe, the mushrooms, red onion and cranberries create a comforting, festive quinoa bowl that can be served any time of the year as a main dish with a side salad or soup.
- Rinse quinoa, place in 3 Qt./2.8 L Sauce Pan and dry toast on low heat for a few minutes, until you can smell a nutty aroma. Add 2 cups of water and salt. Turn heat to medium, cover and cook. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Combine 1 cup of water with porcini mushrooms in 1 Qt./.9 L Sauce Pan until Vapo-Valve™ clicks. Remove the pan from the heat and let the mushrooms soak for 20 minutes. Then drain the mushrooms, reserving them and the liquid separately. Roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on skillet skitter and dissipate, add onions and celery. Cook until the vegetables are soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add the reserved mushrooms, garlic and cranberries. Sauté until the cranberries are heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add pine nuts, cooked quinoa, reserved mushroom liquid, black pepper to taste and additional salt, if desired. Cook until the liquid has been absorbed, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chopped parsley and serve hot.