3 Qt. Ultimate Culinaire with Cover (Limited Edition)
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Tart red currant sauce is a traditional English sauce or condiment. There are many variations of this sauce, some including garlic, mustard, sherry or red wine, vinegar, herbs and shallots. Serve red currant sauce with duck, lamb, chicken or pork.
shallots, peeled, minced
red wine or sherry vinegar
red currant jam
vegetable or chicken stock
rosemary, fresh, minced
fresh ground pepper
- Preheat Ultimate Culinaire over medium heat for 7-9 minutes until a sprinkle of water skitters and dissipates.
- Sautée shallots for 2-3 minutes until softened, stirring to prevent shallots from burning.
- Add red wine vinegar, currant jam, Dijon mustard, stock, thyme and rosemary. Whisk all of the ingredients together.
- Place cover on Ultimate Culinaire, turn heat down to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes. Remove cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes to reduce slightly and thicken.
- Taste and season with fresh ground pepper.
- Serve Red Currant sauce warm on the side or add to pan of pan fried chicken or pork, along with any juices from the meat for a simple pan sauce.
- Use red currant jam instead of jelly so finished sauce has a nice consistency with bits of currants in it.