6 - 8 servings
Saladmaster Food Processor
1 ½ Qt./1.4 L Sauce Pan with Cover
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Red lentils are a rich source of protein and iron. They are easier to digest and require no presoaking, which makes them a good first legume to introduce to older babies and toddlers. Add a handful of red lentils to soups for added thickness and protein. This stew freezes well and is a nice family meal.
onion, strung, use Cone #2
clove garlic, shredded, use Cone #1
carrots, trimmed, scrubbed and processed, use Cone #3
dried basil or Italian herb blend
vegetable or chicken stock
parsley leaves, chopped
grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
grass fed butter (optional)
- Preheat sauce pan over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled in sauce pan skitter and dissipate, add onions, garlic and carrots. Sauté for 3 - 4 minutes until onions start to soften and brown slightly.
- Add salt, basil and tomato paste. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 2 minutes to lightly brown tomato paste.
- Add red lentils and stock. Stir to combine and place cover on sauce pan.
- When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for 60 minutes or until lentils and vegetables are soft. Add a few tablespoons of stock or water if it gets too thick.
- Add chopped parsley and stir to combine.
- Serve stew as is or puree until smooth for a younger baby.
- Top stew with grated parmesan cheese and grass fed butter.
- Add more seasonal vegetables to stew, such as grated zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potato, peas or minced green beans.