Red wine and mushrooms pair together to make the perfect sauce for grilled steak or roasted chicken. Add in some creamy and tangy soft goat cheese and pair it with pasta or grilled vegetables.
Use the 11 in. Skillet cover with your 10 in. Chef's Gourmet Skillet.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat for 7 - 9 minutes. When several drops of water sprinkled in skillet skitter and dissipate, add garlic and shallots. Sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- Add mushrooms, thyme and a pinch of salt, stirring to combine. The mushrooms will quickly start to release moisture. Continue sautéing mushrooms gently for a few minutes, stirring up bits of browned shallots from the bottom of the skillet. Cook for 8 - 12 minutes, until mushrooms are browned.
- Add stock and red wine. Continue cooking for 8 - 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Season with additional salt, fresh ground pepper, olive oil and fresh chopped parsley.
Creamy Sauce Variation
- Use chicken stock or vegetable stock.
- Omit olive oil and add in 3 ounces (85g) of soft Chèvre style goat cheese at the end of cooking. Stir into the sauce until cheese incorporates with mushrooms and liquid.
- Add in additional herbs, if desired. Fresh chopped basil goes well with this sauce.
- Serve sauce tossed with bowtie noodles.
- Replace thyme for rosemary.
- Store sauce in refrigerator for 3 - 4 days.