6 - 8 servings as a side dish
12" Chef's Gourmet Skillet
large mixing bowl
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Couscous is a granular shaped pasta product made with semolina wheat. Couscous is traditionally used in Middle Eastern and North African cuisines. Serve this quick-to-make dish as a vegan entrée on top of salad greens, with a green vegetable or as a side dish to accompany grilled meat or chicken.
Use the 12 in. Electric Oil Core Skillet cover with your 12 in. Chef's Gourmet Skillet.
water or vegetable stock
dried apricots, unsulphered, chopped
whole wheat couscous
slivered almonds, toasted
scallions, thinly sliced (white and green part)
fresh parsley leaves, chopped
fresh lemon juice
- Place water in skillet. Add apricots and whisk in coriander, cumin and salt. Add cinnamon sticks. Turn heat to medium and bring seasoned liquid to a simmer.
- Carefully stir in couscous and chickpeas. Place 12 in. Electric Oil Core Skillet cover on skillet and turn off heat. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and gently fluff grains with a fork.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and let mixture cool for 15 minutes.
- Add almonds, scallions, parsley, lemon juice and olive oil to mixture. Toss to combine.
- Taste and season with additional salt and fresh ground pepper as needed.
- Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.
- Substitute slivered almonds for pistachio nuts or pine nuts.
- Substitute parsley for chopped fresh cilantro.