10 servings, 1 cup (240 mL) each
Saladmaster Food Processor
7 Qt./6.6 L Roaster with Cover
5 Qt./4.7 L Multi-Purpose Oil Core
7" Santoku Knife
butternut squash (approximately 3 - 4 pounds/1.4kg - 1.8kg)
onion, thinly sliced, use Cone #4
Honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored and processed, use Cone #3
apple juice or cider
heavy cream (optional)
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, remove pulp and seeds. Rinse squash, do not dry, and place skin-side down in MP5. Place heat on medium. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce heat to low and cook until squash is soft when speared with a fork, approximately 20 minutes. When done, allow to cool, scoop out flesh and discard skin.
- Place roaster on medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on the pan skitter and dissipate, place onions in roaster and reduce heat to low. Sauté until translucent.
- Add apples and continue to cook until apples are softened.
- Add cooked squash, cider and water. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly and transfer mixture to a blender and purée. May need to do in several batches.
- Place mixture back into roaster. Add salt and pepper, and cream if desired. Heat and serve warm.
- If using cream, plain Greek yogurt can be substituted.
- Can be made the day before.
- Leftovers can be frozen.