2 servings, as a first course or light brunch entree
Saladmaster Food Processor
10" Chef's Gourmet Skillet
small mixing bowl
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Portabella mushrooms make the perfect edible bowl for a light first-course salad. A layer of warm melted blue cheese compliments crisp peppery arugula greens and tart pears.
portabella mushroom caps, stems removed, cleaned, seasoned with salt and pepper
blue cheese, divided (1⁄2 inside mushroom caps, 1⁄2 tossed in salad mixture)
shallots, finely minced
lemon juice, fresh
Bartlett pear, processed, use Cone #3
3 - 4
baby arugula greens, lightly chopped
(60 - 80
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat skillet on medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on skillet skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 minutes, add portabella mushroom caps with inside of cap facing up. Cover with 11" Large Skillet Cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce heat to low and cook until mushrooms are tender but still slightly firm, approximately 5 - 6 minutes. Turn off heat. Remove cover and pour off any excess liquid remaining in mushroom caps.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon (8.5 g) crumbled blue cheese inside mushroom caps. Place cover back on skillet.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together shallots, brown mustard, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil. Add pear, chopped arugula, salt and pepper to taste, and toss to combine.
- Remove warm mushroom caps from skillet and transfer to serving plate. Top each cap with 1⁄2 of the tossed salad mixture, heaping it into the cap. Top each mushroom with remaining 1⁄2 of crumbled blue cheese. Garnish with a few pear slices, if desired.
- This salad is best served when the mushroom cap is still warm and the cheese is soft and melted.
- Substitute balsamic vinegar for a fruity raspberry vinegar.
- Vary fruits according to what is available in season; try strawberries, raspberries or crisp apples.
- I prefer the red Bartlett pear slightly under ripened, for the pretty color and contrasting texture.
- The cover of the Saladmaster 11" Large Skillet interchanges with the 10" Chef's Gourmet as well as the 7 Qt. Roaster.