These nutrient and flavor packed mushrooms make a tasty vegetarian entrée, topped with Spinach Basil Pesto. Pesto is a great way to get raw dark leafy greens into your diet. Spinach is a good source of vitamins C and A, manganese and iron.
Visit the Mega Skillet Limited Edition product section of this site for more recipes.
Spinach Basil Pesto
- Place cauliflower, millet, garlic, zucchini, onions, basil, salt, pepper and 3 cups of vegetable stock in sauce pan. Cover and turn heat to medium. When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low.
- Cook millet mixture for 30 minutes. When cooking time is done, turn off heat and let rest for 10 minutes with the cover on.
- Place mushrooms, cup side up, close together in Mega Skillet in a single layer.
- When cauliflower and millet mixture is cooked, place in bowl and mash with a food masher to combine. If mixture is dry, add a little additional vegetable stock. Taste mixture and adjust seasonings as necessary. Mixture should be the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Divide vegetable and millet mash evenly in portabella mushroom caps, mounding mixture in each cap. Pour remaining 1⁄2 cup (120 mL) of vegetable stock over mushrooms.
- Place cover on skillet and set temperature to medium heat. When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low. Cook mushrooms for 8 - 10 minutes (depending on size) or until mushrooms are cooked.
- For a crispy top on mushrooms, preheat oven broiler on 400°F/204°C degrees, remove cover and detachable handles from skillet and place under oven broiler for 5 minutes before serving.
- Top mushrooms with Spinach Basil Pesto and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Spinach Basil Pesto
- Place toasted walnuts in food processor fitted with metal blade. Pulse walnuts to grind.
- Place garlic, basil, spinach into food processor, pulse to grind and incorporate greens.
- Scrape down nuts and greens in the food processor; add Parmesan cheese, water, olive oil, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Process mixture until smooth, adding more water if too thick.
- Serve dollop of pesto on top of each mushroom.
- Substitute crimini mushrooms or baby Bella mushrooms for appetizer sized portions.
- Pesto is a versatile staple to have in your refrigerator. Combine a tablespoon or two with steamed vegetables, toss into cooked pasta, use as a topping for fish or pan fried chicken breasts.
- For variations to the pesto, substitute spinach for baby kale leaves or vary herbs; try fresh parsley or cilantro.
- For a vegan pesto, substitute grated Parmesan cheese for 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast.