Need a quick potluck or picnic dish that is delicious and easy to prepare for a crowd? Combine seasonal ingredients and pantry staples into a fresh and nutritious side dish. This recipe pairs well with meat, fish, and poultry or on its own as a vegan entrée. Bean and legumes are an inexpensive, filling and protein-rich food. Beans are generally low in fat and great sources of calcium, iron and B vitamins.
- Place vinegar in large mixing bowl. Add sliced red onions and garlic to vinegar and marinate for approximately 15 minutes to soften onions and garlic.
- Place culinary basket in sink and place chickpeas, kidney beans and pinto beans into basket; drain and rinse. Pour lemon juice over beans and toss gently.
- Pour beans on top of marinating red onions. Set aside.
- Place water (3 cups/700mL for 7 Qt. Roaster or 6 cups/1.4L for 10 Qt. Roaster) in roaster, attach Versa Loc™ handles, turn temperature to medium-high and cover.
- Add washed, trimmed and cut green and yellow beans to culinary basket; attach Versa Loc™ handles.
- When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, carefully remove cover and insert culinary basket with beans into roaster and re-cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ clicks again, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 4 - 6 minutes until beans are tender crisp.
- Remove roaster and culinary basket from stove; carefully remove cover. Lift basket out of roaster and drain. Pour beans directly into mixing bowl with onions and garlic.
- Pour olive oil on top of mixture, add parsley, salt and pepper and toss gently to combine, being careful not to mash beans.
- Chill salad in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serve bean salad on top of lettuce leaf as a side dish.
- Substitute canned beans for dry cooked beans.
- Vary bean combination: black bean and cranberry beans or lentils and pinto beans.
- Add in different fresh chopped herbs: cilantro, chives or fresh thyme.
- If desired, reduce oil to 1/8 cup.