Saladmaster Food Processor
5 Qt./4.7 L Roaster with Cover
small mixing bowl
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
This simple and hearty one pan meal is a class dish from southern France. There are many variations found in Mediterranean cuisine; have fun varying herbs and spicing it up to suit your tastes.
onion, strung, use Cone #2
cloves garlic, shredded, use Cone #1
red or orange bell pepper, medium dice
eggplant, peeled, medium dice
dried oregano, crumbled
yellow squash and zucchini, medium dice
ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with juices
fresh basil leaves, chopped
fresh Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat roaster over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled in roaster skitter and dissipate, add onions and garlic and sauté for 2 - 3 minutes until softened.
- Add peppers, eggplant, oregano, thyme and salt. Continue sautéing for 2 minutes until eggplant is slightly softened.
- Add squash and tomatoes. Stir all ingredients until combined and cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ clicks steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes until vegetables are soft but still hold their shape.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato paste and balsamic vinegar. Add mixture and chopped basil to roaster and stir to combine. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Serve ratatouille warm as is or place sliced mozzarella cheese on top of ratatouille, cover roaster and cook for 2 - 3 minutes until cheese is soft.
- Add additional vegetables: mushrooms, fennel or green beans.
- Spice up your ratatouille with ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or 1 - 2 minced jalapeño peppers.
- Substitute fresh diced tomatoes for one 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes or plum tomatoes.
- Add 2 cups of cooked chickpeas for a heartier entrée style meal.
- Serve over couscous, pasta or rice.
- Warm up ratatouille and poach an egg in the stew for a delicious brunch or luncheon dish.