Bola-Bola, or sweet and sour meatballs, is a favorite Asian-style dish. Make these large meatballs with beef or a combination of ground meats. Chunks of pineapple, pepper, carrots and onions are tossed with a delicious sauce that coats the meatballs. Serve it with steamed jasmine or basmati rice.
Use the 12 in. Electric Oil Core Skillet cover with your 12 in. Chef's Gourmet Skillet.
- In a large bowl, mix together all meatball ingredients.
- Roll mixture into 2 inch (5 cm) sized balls and set aside.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled in skillet skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 - 7 minutes, add half of the meatballs and place 12 in. Electric Oil Core Skillet cover slightly ajar on skillet.
- Cook for about 2 - 3 minutes on each side until browned, about 6 - 9 minutes total cooking time. Remove meatballs from skillet and set aside. Cook remaining meatballs in the same way.
- To make the sauce, add onions and peppers to skillet. Place cover slightly ajar on skillet and sauté 5 - 7 minutes, stirring occasionally during cooking.
- Add carrots and garlic and continue to cook for 3 - 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together ketchup, vinegar, pineapple juice, water and tamari. Add arrowroot powder to liquid and whisk together to combine.
- Place cooked meatballs in skillet and pour sauce mixture over top. Cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot and garnish with minced scallions.
- When browning meatballs, don't worry if meatballs are not completely cooked as they will finish cooking in sauce.
- Substitute pork or beef for ground turkey or ground chicken.
- If pineapple chunks in juice are not available, drain liquid from canned pineapple and replace with 1 cup of pineapple juice.