This is one of my favorite variations on preparing dark leafy greens. The Mega Skillet is the perfect cooking vessel, because you can make a lot; they store well and can be incorporated into many different dishes for the start of a healthy meal (see Tips for some ideas).
Visit the Mega Skillet Limited Edition product section of this site for more recipes.
- Preheat Mega Skillet on medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on skillet skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 minutes, add onions. Sauté for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions start to brown and become soft (don't worry if onions stick a little bit).
- Add Swiss chard stems to caramelizing onions, stir, and place cover on skillet. When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click, reduce heat to low and cook for 3 - 4 minutes or until stems soften.
- Remove cover, add garlic, Swiss chard greens and olives, and carefully fold together all of the ingredients. Place cover back on skillet. Vapo-Valve™ begins clicking, reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 5 - 7 minutes or until greens are softened to your liking.
- Taste greens and season with salt and pepper. Add cayenne pepper, if desired.
- Substitute Swiss chard for your favorite dark leafy green; collard greens: kale, mustard greens, broccoli rapini, escarole, dandelion greens or others. Cooking times will vary.
- Variations and Serving Ideas - season with gomasio (ground sesame seeds and salt) and toss with cooked rice or soba noodles; add to scrambled eggs or in an omelet with your favorite cheese; add minced roasted peppers and cooked shrimp; serve at room temperature with a light dressing of fresh lemon juice and a dash of olive oil, fold in leftover cooked chicken; top a plain pizza with greens; possibilities are endless...have fun!