Saladmaster Food Processor
4 Qt./3.8 L Roaster with Cover
onions, of at least 3 different types, sliced, use Cone #4 (about 7 cups)
fresh garlic, minced
all-purpose seasoning, or to taste
low-sodium, low-fat beef broth, heated
salt, to taste
- Preheat roaster over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on pan skitter and dissipate, add onions, garlic, bay leaf and all-purpose seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally for 10 - 15 minutes with the lid cracked until the onions are a rich golden brown (this is caused by the sugar in the onions caramelizing).
- Add tomato paste and cook for 2 - 3 more minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the onions and cook, stirring, for 2 - 3 minutes. Remove roaster from heat.
- Stir in heated beef broth.
- Return roaster to burner and cover. When the Vapo-Valve™ clicks, turn to low and continue to cook for 15 - 20 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt if needed. Serve with cheese croutons or french bread with melted cheese.
- To prepare a gluten-free alternative, use gluten-free beef broth and gluten-free all-purpose flour.
- The Multi-Purpose 5 Qt. Oil Core (MP5) may be used to make this recipe. If using, turn temperature down slightly on the digital probe when the directions instruct to remove pan from heat, to prevent from sticking. Then increase heat on the digital probe to the initial temperature after adding the beef broth.