This traditional roast is the easiest, quickest and tastiest roast to feed a large or small crowd. The wonderful thing about cooking a roast in Saladmaster is that any utensil will work, from cooking a small roast with extra vegetables in the 3 Qt./2.8 L Sauce Pan to a large multi-roast dish in the 16 Qt./15.1 L Roaster.
- Preheat roaster over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on roaster skitter and dissipate, add roasts and sprinkle with seasoning to taste. Cook for 10 - 15 minutes, turn roasts and season other side.
- Add onions, potatoes and carrots, filling the roaster two-thirds of the way full, and cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce heat gradually so that the valve clicks every few seconds or a few bubbles occur around the edges of the cover ever few seconds. Cook for 1 - 1 1⁄2 hours depending on tenderness preference.
- Cooking the roast on too high of heat will cause the roast to dry out. The initial medium temperature setting should be enough heat to sear, but not blacken the meat.
- Allow 15 minutes of cooking time per pound for a sliceable roast; and 30 - 45 minutes of cooking time per pound for a fall-apart roast.
- Juices left in roaster after cooking may be poured over meat when serving or used to make a delicious gravy.
- If roasting fresh game, try pouring cream of mushroom or celery over meat after adding the meat to the roaster and seasoning it.
- Try adding barbecue sauce over meat before adding the vegetables.