2 Qt./1.8L Sauce Pan with Cover
12" Electric Oil Core Skillet
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Use leftover roasted turkey or chicken for this simple, family friendly one skillet meal. Southwestern spices, beans and cheesy corn meal topping make this dish a crowd pleaser, easy enough for a weeknight meal.
onion, strung, use Cone #2
garlic, shredded, use Cone #1
sweet pepper, red or green, small dice
diced green chili, drained
pinto beans, cooked, drained
leftover turkey or chicken, shredded or diced
diced tomato with juices
cheddar or jack cheese, shredded, use Cone #2
Optional: fresh cilantro, guacamole or sour cream
- Preheat electric oil core skillet to 375°F / 190°C degree.
- Sauté onion, garlic and peppers for 3-4 minutes, add chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt.
- Add diced green chilies, pinto beans, diced turkey and tomato with juices, stir.
- Pour chicken stock and salt in 2 quart sauce pan, bring stock to a boil. Slowly pour in polenta and stir to combine with whisk. Place lid on sauce pan and turn heat to low.
- Cook polenta for 5-10 minutes, until it is thick. Turn off heat and remove polenta from stove. Add 1 cup of shredded cheese to polenta and stir to combine.
- Place table spoons of polenta on top of turkey, bean filling- (it will be very thick) in electric skillet to cover top of filling. Use a spatula to smooth polenta to cover filling. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup of cheese on top.
- Place cover on skillet and turn heat to 180°F / 80°C, cook for 50 minutes until filling is cooked and polenta is set.
- Serve tamale casserole as is or top with your choice of, salsa, scallions, chopped cilantro, guacamole or sour cream.
- Omit beans.
- Add in leftover roasted sweet potato cut in medium dice.
- Add in extra vegetables; zucchini, corn or diced butternut squash.