Creamy textured Great Northern beans, with an impressive 17 grams of protein and low in fat, is the star ingredient in this white chili. Make this simple one pot meal into a fun family or party entrée by offering an array of tasty toppings to customize your chili bowl.
Quickly toast up thinly sliced corn tortillas in the Saladmaster Chef’s Gourmet Skillet for a fat free crunchy topping.
- Process onion, celery and garlic directly into roaster. Place heat on medium and sauté for several minutes until softened.
- Add cumin, chili powder, oregano and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add beans, chilies, zucchini and stock. Stir to combine and cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ clicks reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 35 minutes, until vegetables are very soft.
- Remove 2 cups (480 mL) of soup, puree in blender until smooth; then return to soup (this is not a creamed soup so only a portion of the soup is pureed). Taste soup and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- While soup is cooking, slice fresh corn tortillas in ½ lengthwise and cut halves in to thin strips.
- Place tortilla strips in skillet over medium heat and cook until toasted and browned, tossing during cooking process so they are evenly browned. Cook tortilla strips in batches and don’t overcrowd the skillet.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowl. Place a handful of tortilla strips on top and/or add a dollop of low-fat sour cream or yogurt, if desired.
- Substitute cannellini beans for Great Northern beans.
- Substitute corn kernels for zucchini.
- In lieu of a blender, you may use an immersion style blender and place directly in roaster to puree some of the soup (this is not a creamed soup so only a portion of the soup is pureed).
- Top with cilantro.