Saladmaster Food Processor
1 Qt./.9 L Sauce Pan with Cover
Mega Skillet Limited Edition
Professional Natural Foods Chef & Board Certified Health Coach
Bright notes of orange, ginger and toasted nut topping elevate winter squash to a perfect accompaniment for roasted turkey, poultry or on its own served with rice and fresh green salad.
Visit the Mega Skillet Limited Edition product section of this site for more recipes.
acorn squash, washed and sliced into 8 1⁄2-inch rounds per squash (remove seeds)
low sodium vegetable stock
salt and fresh ground pepper to season
orange juice (or fresh juice from 2 oranges)
orange, zest, use Cone #1 (only get outside orange part and not white under layer)
ginger, fresh, grated
arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
1 - 2
maple syrup or honey
(21 - 42
hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- Place sliced acorn squash pieces slightly overlapping in Mega Skillet forming a circle of slices.
- Pour stock over acorn squash, season with fresh ground pepper, sprinkle of salt and cinnamon.
- Place cover on skillet and turn heat to medium. When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, add orange juice, zest, ginger, arrowroot powder, salt and maple syrup to sauce pan; mix to combine. Place cover on sauce pan and turn heat to medium. When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click, reduce heat to low. Remove cover and stir sauce to combine. Sauce should be thickened. If not, cook for another few minutes on low heat with cover removed. Taste sauce and season with extra salt and pepper if needed.
- When acorn squash is cooked, remove cover and pour thickened sauce over squash, garnish with chopped toasted nuts. Serve warm.
- Substitute hazelnuts for almonds or walnuts.
- Substitute acorn squash for other winter squash, cut into wedges.