3 Qt. Ultimate Culinaire with Cover (Limited Edition)
Saladmaster Food Processor
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Risotto is a rice dish from Northern Italy, traditionally made with Arborio rice. Short grain brown rice makes a wonderful alternative with a creamy texture. Soaking the rice overnight makes the rice softer and easier to digest.
short grain brown rice, soaked drained and rinsed
winter squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1⁄2 cubes (choose butternut, acorn or your favorite)
leek, white part, cleaned, minced
garlic cloves, shredded, use Cone #1
natural salt (optional)
white wine (optional)
goat cheese, soft
parsley, fresh, chopped
- Place short grain brown rice in bowl and cover with water. Soak rice for 3-4 hours or overnight. When you are ready to cook risotto, drain water from rice and rinse.
- Place drained rice and vegetable stock in 3 qt. saucepan, cover and turn heat to medium. When Vapo-Valve begins to click steadily turn heat to low and cook for 50 minutes.
- Preheat Ultimate Culinaire over medium heat for 7-9 minutes until a sprinkle of water skitters and dissipates.
- Sauté leeks and garlic for 2 minutes until they start to brown slightly.
- Rinse cut squash with water and drain. Add squash, salt, nutmeg and thyme and stir to combine. Add white wine if using. Sauté for 3-4 minutes. Place cover on pan and when Vapo-Valve™ clicks steadily turn heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove cover from Ultimate Culinaire and stir, turn heat back to medium. Slowly add cooked rice and liquid to Ultimate Culinaire, stirring as you combine the ingredients. Add goat cheese to risotto, stir and cook for 8-10 minutes longer until liquid reduces slightly and risotto is creamy.
- Taste, add extra fresh chopped parsley and serve.
- For a vegan entrée, omit goat cheese, it will still be very creamy. Garnish with a sprinkle of vegan Parmesan if desired.