5 Qt./4.7 L Roaster with Cover
Caroline Trapp, N.P., C.D.E.
Director of Diabetes Education and Care, Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
It doesn't get any easier, and everyone loves this dish! Feed a crowd by doubling or tripling the recipe. It's even better the next day.
low sodium canned black beans, drained, liquid reserved
low sodium salsa (mild, medium or hot, depending on preference)
freshly squeezed lime juice from 1 lime (optional)
chopped cilantro (optional)
hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- In roaster, mix beans, salsa and corn.
- Add reserved bean liquid to achieve desired consistency. For a soupier chili, add all of the reserved liquid. Leave the liquid out when serving with baked tortillas chips or rolled in a tortilla.
- Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. To speed the cooking time, defrost corn under running water before combining the ingredients.
- If using lime juice, cilantro and hot sauce, add before serving.
- To reduce the amount of sodium in this recipe, dried black beans that have been soaked and cooked may be used. Substitute canned beans by using 2 1/2 cups of cooked beans and cover with cooking liquid to equal a total of 3 cups.
- Fresh organic corn may be substituted for frozen.