Raw thinly sliced zucchini is a nutritious and crunchy addition to your warm weather salads. Zucchini slices perfectly with the Saladmaster Machine and Cone #5 - toss with salt and in 30 minutes the zucchini is softened and takes on a whole new flavor. This is a simple way to add in lots of nutrient dense raw vegetables to your pasta and grain salads.
- Place zucchini in culinary basket and rinse. Add salt to zucchini and toss to combine. Set aside and let zucchini soften and drain for 30 minutes.
- While zucchini is draining, place quinoa in colander, rinse with cool water and drain. Place rinsed quinoa and water in sauce pan and cover. Turn heat to medium. When Vapo-Valve™ clicks reduce heat to low and cook for 12 - 14 minutes. When quinoa is cooked, remove from heat, leave covered, and let quinoa rest for 10 minutes.
- Place quinoa in mixing bowl and allow to cool. When cooled, add remaining ingredients to the quinoa and stir to combine.
- Drain zucchini and pat off excess water with paper towels. Add to quinoa and stir thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve salad topped with diced avocado and sprinkle of smoked mild paprika, if desired.
- Quinoa cooks quickly and adds a nice crunchy texture to any salad. A ¼ cup (46g) serving of quinoa has 6 grams of protein and is an excellent gluten-free option.
- There are so many varieties of quinoa available in the market. The combination of white, red and black quinoa makes a pretty presentation with all of the green herbs and vegetables. Substitute for whatever is available.
- Substitute zucchini squash for yellow summer squash or use a combination of both.