This basic Mexican-style casserole known as Chilaquiles is made with stale corn tortillas. It is an easy to prepare meal layered with pantry and freezer staples. Serve with sliced avocado, hot sauce or sour cream and a simple salad to round out the meal.
- Place refried beans in a small bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher so they are easier to spread. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together salsa, crushed tomatoes, chili powder and cumin.
- Place chopped peppers and ⅓ of sauce mixture in skillet, spreading out to cover the bottom of the skillet.
- Layer ⅓ of tortillas over top and spread ½ of softened refried beans to cover tortillas.
- Top with spinach and press down slightly with hands.
- Layer ⅓ of sauce and then ⅓ of cheese.
- Layer ⅓ of tortillas over top and spread remaining refried beans to cover tortillas.
- Layer with remaining tortillas, and spread remaining sauce and cheese over top.
- Cover and set temperature probe to 325°F/163°C. When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click, reduce temperature to 200°F/93°C and set timer for 30 minutes.
- When finished cooking let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve.
- Add in a layer of leftover cooked ground sausage meat, shredded chicken or vegan sausage.
- Substitute frozen peppers for frozen corn or mixed Mexican-style vegetable blend.
- Use a metal turner heated under hot water to gently spread out refried beans.