Homemade fish stock is nutritious and easy to make. Purchase fish whole and have them trim and cut off the flesh at the fish shop. Use the head and fish bones to make a light and delicious broth. Sip lightly seasoned broth as a simple first course or use it in place of store bought stock when preparing fish and seafood based soups and stews.
- Rinse fish bones and fish head with cold water. Place in roaster and add remaining ingredients.
- Pour 8 cups cold water over contents. Turn heat to medium and cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ just starts to click, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 - 30 minutes. Do not boil fish stock.
- Remove cover and skim off any foam that has risen to the surface.
- Strain fish stock through culinary basket into sauce pan.
- Fish stock can be used as is or stored in the refrigerator until needed.
- Add in or substitute fresh thinly sliced fennel for celery. Fresh fennel will add a mild, sweet flavor to the fish stock.
- Fish stock freezes well and can be used in fish soups, stews and sauces or used in place of water for cooking grains.