8 servings, 1 cup (240g) each
Saladmaster Food Processor
5 Qt./4.7 L Multi-Purpose Oil Core
7" Santoku Knife
5 - 6
chicken broth, divided
(1.2 - 1.4
Granny Smith apples, peeled and shredded, use Cone #1
salt and pepper to taste
- Cut butternut squash in half lengthwise and remove pulp and seeds. Set seeds aside. Cut each half into half again, and then cut each piece in half. Place squash pieces into MP5 skin-side down (it’s OK to stack if necessary).
- Add 1 cup (240 mL) of chicken broth. Place temperature on digital probe to 200°F/90°C and timer on 45 minutes.
- When finished remove squash, take spoon and scoop out the meat of the squash, discard the skin. Place back into MP5.
- Add all ingredients to the MP5 and stir well. Mash the squash against the wall of the MP5 with the bottom of the spoon so there are no lumps.
- Place temperature on digital probe to 250°F/120°C and timer on 60 minutes. Add an additional cup of chicken broth if soup needs to be thinned.
- Once the soup is done cooking, slightly cool. Place all contents into food processor or use blender-wand to bring to a creamy consistency. Can also be eaten as-is without blending, if desired.
- If using food processor, return soup to MP5 and cover to keep warm until serving. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
- Save seeds to toast and eat like pumpkin seeds.
- Can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- Serve as a meal starter or with a salad and a hearty bread as a light main dish.