11" Square Griddle
Janet Potts, RD, LD
Just one quesadilla provides one-quarter of your daily nutritional requirement of protein. Serve with a salad and you have a nutritious dinner. Or serve as appetizers - a healthy way to start a party.
chili beans, drained
Monterey jack cheese, reduced-fat, grated, use Cone #1
jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
fresh cilantro, chopped
Southwestern chipotle seasonings, salt-free
whole-wheat tortillas, 98% fat-free
- In a medium bowl combine chili beans, cheese, jalapeno, cilantro and Southwest seasoning. Mash mixture slightly with a fork or potato masher to blend. Set aside.
- Preheat griddle over medium heat. Meanwhile, spread one tablespoon (16 g) on a tortilla. Spread 1⁄3 cup (84 g) bean mixture over 1⁄2 of the tortilla. Fold tortilla in half to enclose filling. When several drops of water sprinkled on griddle skitter and dissipate place tortilla on griddle.
- Repeat with 2 more tortillas. Cook 3 at a time for 3 minutes. Turn and cook for approximately 3 more minutes or until light brown and cheese is melted.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Can use small red beans in a spicy tomato sauce rather than chili with beans.