A rich, thick and flavorful sauce with the additional health and fiber benefits of lentils. This sauce is perfect for tossing with cooked whole grain or gluten free pasta, topping pan grilled vegetables or layering into your favorite eggplant or lasagna dish.
Visit the Mega Skillet Limited Edition product section of this site for more recipes.
- Preheat Mega Skillet on medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on skillet skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 - 7 minutes, add onions, mushrooms, carrots and garlic. Sauté vegetables for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, water, lentils, basil, oregano, nutmeg, red wine (if desired) salt and pepper. Stir ingredients to combine, cover and cook. When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 60 minutes or until the lentils are very soft.
- Pour 1-inch of water into sauce pan. Place steamer in sauce pan and add crumbled ground beef in inset. Cover and cook over medium heat. When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for 8 - 10 minutes or until beef is cooked. Break beef into small pieces with a spoon.
- Add cooked ground beef to sauce in skillet and stir to combine. Cover and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Discard drippings and water from sauce pan.
- Taste sauce and re-season if necessary.
- Garnish with shave Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Lentils are mild flavored and low cost source of calcium, magnesium, potassium and vitamin A. Lentils help to reduce blood cholesterol and control blood sugar.
- Substitute ground turkey or ground chicken for ground beef.
- Add additional water to sauce if it becomes too thick.
- This sauce freezes well. Cool sauce thoroughly first and place in containers to freeze.