Cabbage is an inexpensive and nutritional powerhouse that is easy to find year round in most markets. It is high in fiber, sulfur, vitamin C, and is low in calories and fat. Cabbage is delicious raw in salads and slaws, but really develops its naturally sweet flavor when braised. With only 4 main ingredients, this dish is a great quick meal to prepare.
- Preheat MP5, uncovered, at 375°F/190°C.
- Add onions and sauté for 3 - 4 minutes, stirring during cooking, until they begin to brown slightly and soften.
- Add sausage meat and cook for an additional 4 minutes, breaking up chunks of sausage into smaller pieces during cooking.
- Add cabbage, a little at a time, tossing it with onions and sausage, until all of the cabbage has been added.
- Season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add cannellini beans on top of the cabbage mixture and place cover on MP5.
- When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce temperature to 225°F/110°C and cook for 60 - 90 minutes or until cabbage is soft and sweet.
- Stir mixture together, and add chopped parsley and apple cider vinegar.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Substitute Italian sausage for Kielbasa or other smoked sausage, and cut into small pieces.
- If you like a very meaty dish, double the amount of sausage used.
- Add in 15 ounces of crushed tomatoes for a variation to this dish.