6 - 8 servings
Saladmaster Food Processor
5 Qt./4.7 L Roaster with Cover
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Gochujang, a fermented Korean chili paste gives this dish a spicy kick. If you can't find Korean chili paste, substitute for jalapeño peppers, chili garlic sauce or crushed red pepper flakes.
chuck roast, bottom round or beef shoulder, trimmed of excess fat
fresh ground pepper
onions, strung, use Cone #2
cloves garlic, peeled and crushed with side of knife
natural soy sauce or tamari, wheat-free
fresh ginger root, shredded, use Cone #1
seasoned rice vinegar
toasted sesame oil
sesame seeds, toasted
- Season chuck roast with salt and fresh ground pepper on all sides.
- Preheat roaster over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled on roaster skitter and dissipate, add beef pressing down on meat slightly. Place cover on roaster slightly ajar and cook for 3 - 4 minutes on each side until brown.
- When beef is browned, add onions, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil and gochujang sauce. Cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ clicks steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for 3 - 3½ hours or until beef is very tender and falling apart.
- Remove beef from roaster and transfer to a plate. Shred with two forks, pulling it apart.
- Skim any excess fat off of the top of sauce in roaster.
- Place shredded beef back in roaster with sauce.
- Garnish shredded beef with sesame seeds and serve as is or on top of corn tortillas, flour tortillas or white rice.
- Serve shredded beef topped with kimchi or shredded cabbage.
- Garnish Korean-style shredded beef taco with wedge of lime, scallions and chopped cilantro.