Approximately 12 servings
Saladmaster Food Processor
9 Qt./8.5 L Braiser Pan with Cover
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Lentils are an economical and delicious powerhouse of nutrition. Lentils are good sources of lean protein, dietary fiber, folate, iron, calcium, vitamin K and potassium. If you are new to eating legumes, try incorporating them into daily meals in small portions. Digestive enzymes can be helpful in assisting the body to properly digest and assimilate.
onion, strung, use Cone #2
Swiss chard, stems cut into small dice, leaves cut into large pieces
cloves garlic, shredded, use Cone #1
sweet bell peppers (red, yellow or orange), sliced, use Cone #4
French lentils, rinsed and drained
vegetable stock or water
fresh ground pepper, to taste
1 - 2
sherry or red wine vinegar
(15 - 30
- Preheat pan over medium heat until several drops of water sprinkled on pan skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 - 7 minutes.
- While pan is preheating, prepare Swiss chard. Trim ends from Swiss chard and discard. Cut stems away from leaves and stack leaves in a pile. Cut leaves into 3 - 4 pieces crosswise and wash in cool water and drain. Cut Swiss chard stems into 1-inch small dice.
- Add onions and Swiss chard to pan and sauté for 6 - 8 minutes until they begin to soften and brown slightly.
- Add garlic and peppers and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Add lentils to pan and stir to combine. Sauté for an additional 5 - 8 minutes.
- Pour stock over lentils and add bay leaves. Stir to combine and cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ clicks steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove cover and place Swiss chard leaves on top of the lentils. Place cover back on pan and continue cooking for 10 -15 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir to combine. Add vinegar and extra seasonings as necessary.
- Top each serving of lentil stew with crumbled goat or feta cheese and serve with crusty sour dough bread.
- Add in additional vegetables: sweet potato, red potato, fennel or carrots.
- Add cooked turkey or pork sausage to stew.
- Cook lentils until they are slightly firm, do not overcook.