3 servings, approximately 1 cup each
1 Qt./.9 L Sauce Pan with Cover
small mixing bowl
Cookie Sheet (12 ½ x 15 ½)
Cooking instructor, VegNews TV chef, and nutrition instructor for T. Colin Campbell Foundation's eCornell program in Plant Based Nutrition
Although this recipe may sound plain, it is rich with savory flavor and surprisingly satisfying. I've been known to eat this for breakfast by itself! It is also a great dinner accompaniment to sautéed greens and cooked black beans.
short-grain brown rice, uncooked
2 - 3
Shoyu or low-sodium soy sauce
(30 - 45
- Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C.
- Combine water and rice in sauce pan. Cover and cook over medium-high heat.
- When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce heat to low and cook for 50 minutes.
- Place pecan pieces on a cookie sheet and place in the oven for 4 - 5 minutes. Watch pecans to make sure they don't burn.
- Once the pecans are heated, place them in a small bowl and stir in the soy sauce.
- When rice is finished cooking, move to a bowl and stir in the pecans and remaining soy sauce. Cover with a plate to keep the rice moist until eating.