Saladmaster Food Processor
12" Chef's Gourmet Skillet
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
Save time and mess in the kitchen by including a few convenience foods into this Cajun inspired rice dish. Pre-cleaned and cooked shrimp is available at most fish markets or ask them to steam shrimp and clean them for you while you wait. Include frozen sliced okra for an authentic flavor. Add in pre-cooked rice and frozen vegetables for a meal that comes together quickly and tastes delicious.
Use the 12 in. Electric Oil Core Skillet Cover with your 12 in. Chef's Gourmet Skillet.
onions, strung, use Cone #2
cloves garlic, shredded, use Cone #1
stalks celery, sliced, use Cone #4
Cajun seasoning blend
cooked long-grain brown rice
diced tomatoes in juice, drained
frozen okra, sliced
pre-cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
fresh ground pepper
fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat skillet over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled in skillet skitter and dissipate, add onions, garlic and celery. Sauté for about 4 - 6 minutes until onions start to soften, stirring occasionally during cooking.
- Add seasoning blend, rice, tomatoes and okra. Stir to combine.
- Add shrimp on top of rice mixture and cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce the heat to low. Cook rice for 10 minutes until everything is heated through and okra is cooked.
- If rice is a little watery, cook for a few additional minutes with the cover off.
- Taste rice and add salt and pepper as needed. Add fresh parsley right before serving and stir in to combine.
- Substitute shrimp for baked seasoned diced tofu.
- Add in 1 diced green or red pepper.
- Substitute long-grain brown rice for white basmati rice or other precooked grains.
- Salt amounts will vary depending on Cajun seasoning blend you are using.
- Serve with hot sauce or tabasco for a spicier dish.