Adobo is a very popular method of preparing meat, chicken and fish in Filipino cuisine. The adobo-style of preparation was used as a way of preserving meats before refrigerators. There are now many variations to this dish, but the main ingredients include soy sauce and vinegar.
Pair this recipe with Lemon Garlic Snap Peas and Mushrooms.
- Trim excess fat from chicken. Place chicken in a bowl, pour ¼ cup of soy sauce over chicken and toss to combine. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat roaster over medium heat. When several drops of water sprinkled in roaster skitter and dissipate, remove chicken from soy sauce, shake off excess sauce and place skin side down in roaster. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Cook chicken in 2 batches; do not overcrowd roaster. Remove chicken when it is browned and set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to roaster and sauté for several minutes, until softened.
- Add remaining soy sauce, vinegar, water, bay leaves and ground pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add browned chicken. Stir to combine and cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ clicks, reduce heat to low. Cook chicken for 35 - 40 minutes or until internal temperature when tested with a thermometer reaches 165°F/74°C.
- Remove cover and turn heat to medium. Cook for an additional 10 minutes until liquid reduces.
- Serve chicken with adobo sauce.
- Chicken adobo is traditionally served with white rice.
- Substitute palm vinegar for cider vinegar, white vinegar or coconut vinegar.