10 - 12 servings
Saladmaster Food Processor
9 Qt./8.5 L Braiser Pan with Cover
small mixing bowl
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
5 - 6
chicken, bone-in, thighs, legs and breasts
(2.3 - 2.7
onion, sliced, use Cone #4
cloves garlic, shredded, use Cone #1
bulbs fennel, fresh, cut into wedges
carrots, cut in 1 1⁄2 inch chunks
chicken or vegetable stock
diced tomatoes, with liquid
- Preheat pan over medium heat until several drops of water sprinkled on pan skitter and dissipate, approximately 5 - 7 minutes.
- While pan preheats, combine salt, pepper, basil and thyme in small bowl. Trim excess fat from chicken and season with salt and herb mixture.
- Place chicken pieces in pan, gently pressing down. Place cover on pan slightly ajar and cook chicken 8 - 10 minutes on each side, until chicken easily releases from pan.
- When chicken is browned, remove from pan and set aside. Do not overcrowd pan while cooking; if all of the chicken does not fit into the pan, brown in batches. Pour off any excess fat from pan.
- Add onions and garlic to pan and sauté 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add fennel and carrots. Place cover on pan slightly ajar and cook 6 - 8 minutes.
- Pour wine into pan to deglaze and remove any browned pieces on bottom of pan.
- Place chicken pieces back into pan. Pour stock and diced tomatoes on top and cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ clicks steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 1 1⁄2 hours until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Taste and add seasonings as needed.
- Serve 1 - 2 pieces of chicken with vegetables and sauce per serving, and garnish with a sprinkle of chopped fennel leaves and fresh parsley.
- Serve stew with your favorite crusty bread, roasted or mashed potatoes or a whole grain side dish.
- Add 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper for a spicy dish.
- Add additional vegetables: zucchini, sweet potato, parsnips or peas.
- To reduce fat content, trim off all of the skin before seasoning and cooking.