5 Qt./4.7 L Roaster with Cover
large mixing bowl
7" Santoku Knife
Certified Health Coach & Natural Foods Chef
This Hungarian chicken stew is so simple to prepare and a satisfying cool weather one pan meal. Skinless chicken and Greek yoghurt lower the fat and calories without sacrificing any flavor.
boneless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat and cut into chunks
onions, medium dice
diced tomatoes with juices
plain European-style of Greek-style yoghurt
- Preheat roaster over medium heat until several drops of water sprinkled in roaster skitter and dissipate.
- Place chicken pieces in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Place ⅓ of chicken in roaster, place over on roaster slightly ajar and cook for 3 - 5 minutes on each side until chicken is browned. Remove chicken from roaster and set aside. Cook remaining chicken in same way.
- Drain any excess fat from roaster. Add onions to roaster and sauté for 5 - 8 minutes until softened and lightly browned. Add paprika and stir.
- Place browned chicken back in roaster, along with any juices that may have accumulated. Stir well so chicken gets coated with paprika. Sauté for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, tomatoes and bay leaves. Stir, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the roaster, and cover.
- When Vapo-Valve™ begins to click steadily, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
- Stir in Greek yoghurt right before serving or have guests add a dollop of Greek yoghurt to their portions.
- Serve Chicken Paprikash over egg noodles, dumplings or with rice.
- Substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs for skin-on/bone-in chicken pieces.
- Substitute chicken thighs for boneless chicken breast.
- Substitute Greek yoghurt for sour cream.